Via my feeds on Google Reader, I found a link to Alex Payne��s blog al3x.net in a post by Louis Gray. Alex��s recommendations for Computing Happiness are brilliant. Unfortunately, I have a windows machine, but everyone else in my family has a Mac. Knock on wood, the Mac��s always work. I can��t say the same thing about my Windows machines, which I am tinkering with all the time. He provides rules for software, hardware and file formats. Here is a taste:
- Use as little software as possible.
- Use software that does one thing well.
- Do not use software that does many things poorly.
- Do not use software that must sync over the internet to function.
- Do not use web applications that should be desktop applications.
- Do not use desktop applications that should be web applications.